FiveThirtyEight is hiring a Art and Design Intern for summer and autumn. Are you someone who loves using photography, illustration and design to tell a compelling story? Are you considering a career in visual journalism? The Art and Design Intern will work with FiveThirtyEight’s Senior Designer and story editors to make our stories visually appealing and well researched and written. It’s an exciting opportunity for someone with an interest in editorial design to make a huge impact on a small team.
This paid internship will run from May / June 2022 approximately to January 2023 and can be completely remote if you live outside the New York City area. Current students of accredited colleges or universities are admitted, as well as recent graduates who were enrolled in at least one course in the semester prior to the start of the internship.
The art and design intern can work up to 40 hours per week (with some flexibility in the schedule if needed).
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, and link to your website or portfolio through the Disney Careers portal. Even if you don’t tick all the boxes below, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible! If you have any questions about this role, please email Emily Scherer, Senior Designer.
- Search, crop and write photo captions for stories
- Applying stylistic treatments to photos to create visually consistent artistic elements for a series’ stories (e.g. World Cup updates)
- Thinking about the order and rhythm of images within a story to find the best way to engage our readers all the time
- Create custom illustrations to lead everyday and featured stories
- Help assemble stories in WordPress and contribute ideas for headlines and other display text to make sure all elements of the piece work well together
- Collaborate with other FiveThirtyEight teams on video and interactive projects
- Interest in pursuing a career in graphic design, art direction, photo editing and / or illustration
- Experience in visual arts or photojournalism at the university level
- Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- Kindness and enthusiasm for collaboration
- Familiarity with and interest in US politics, sport and / or science
- Expertise in Adobe InDesign, After Effects and / or WordPress
ABC News and FiveThirtyEight are equal opportunity employers. Applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.