Lens will host Brest at the Stade Bollaert-Delelis on Sunday afternoon on the opening weekend of the new Ligue 1 season.
The hosts continued their upward trajectory under coach Franck Haise last season, securing a second straight spot in the top half just two years after promotion. They finished seventh in the league with 62 points from 38 games, the highest score in Ligue 1 this century.
Lens had a couple of significant starts this summer, including Check Doucoure and Jonathan Clauss. However, they’ve gotten more quality signings at affordable prices and hope they can help the club do better this season.
Brest, meanwhile, also enjoyed a solid campaign last season, with new manager Michel Der Zakarian working wonders. They escaped relegation by just one point in the 2020-21 season, but secured an 11th place last season, racking up 48 points in 38 games.
Visitors brought some new faces, including former Norwich man Pierre Lees Melou and Karamoko Dembele. They have enjoyed a solid preseason, winning three of their four games and are hoping to bring that momentum into the new season.
Goal vs Brest Head to head and key numbers
- Sunday’s game will mark the 20th meeting between Lens and Brest. The hosts have won seven of their previous matchups, while Brest have won two more. There have been three draws between the two teams.
- The Pirates are unbeaten in their last three games of this match having lost two of the previous three.
- The goal is goalless in the last ten games of this match.
- The Blood and Gold just lost three league home games last season, the second fewer in the division.
- Exactly half of Brest’s league defeats last season came away.
- The hosts scored 62 league goals last season, their highest-scoring campaign in nearly four decades.
Prediction Lens vs Brest
Lens ended the previous season with an eight-game winning streak. They brought that form into the off-season, winning four of six games, including a 1-0 win over Inter Milan. They have only lost one home game since March and will love their chances in this one.
Brest, meanwhile, played well in the preseason, but last season they fought for results away from home and could lose here.
prediction: Goal 1-0 Brest.
Bonus 2 for 1 new player on Barstool
Lens vs Brest betting tips
Tip 1 – Result: Lens.
Tip 2 – Both teams score: NO (Only one team has found the bottom of the net in all but one of Lens’s last six games).
Tip 3 – Goals – Over / under 2.5 – Less than 2.5 goals (All but one of Brest’s last five games have produced fewer than 2.5 goals).
Paul Merson has predicted all the matches of the GW 1 of the Premier League. More details here